A blog about the amazing things teenagers do, about writing for teens, books for teens, and occasional forays into my world and the world of publishing.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Teens Doing Great Things--Teen Donates 1000 Books to a Homeless Shelter

I love books. I love teens. I love to see teens doing good things in their community, so when I read a story from the Sammamish Review about a teen who worked for four months to collect 1,000 books for a local food bank, I knew I had to share it. (Sammamish is a town in Western Washington, yes we have a lot of towns named after Native American tribes. Try to pronounce this one, Puyallup.)

The following is taken directly from the Sammamish Review article by Laura Geggel, which was posted on January 12, 2011:

An old Issaquah barber was the inspiration for gift of books.

Bibliophiles looking for a good read in early Issaquah might have popped into the local barbershop. Barber Enos Guss shared his love of books with the public when he opened the city’s first library in a corner of his shop on Front Street North in 1906.

More than 100 years later, Sammamish 13-year-old Nathaniel Turtel resolved that he, too, would share his interest in books with others.

Follow this link to read the rest of this story.

What a great thing to do Nathaniel! Congratulations! And thanks to the Sammamish Review for letting me share this story. Nathaniel Turtel came up with a great idea. Gathering books for a food bank isn't something I would have thought to do. It makes me wonder, what are some ways we can share books with people in need, especially during tough economic time?

No comments:

Post a Comment