A blog about the amazing things teenagers do, about writing for teens, books for teens, and occasional forays into my world and the world of publishing.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School, A Day of Beginnings

Do you hear that?

It's the sound of a quiet house.

Today, I sent my four kids off to school. The first day of school is always bittersweet for me. I hate the end of summer, and I'm always sad to see my kids leave, but at the same time I'm excited for them to start a new chapter in their lives. (And lets be honest, it is GREAT to have uninterrupted hours to write and work on writerly stuff.)

For me the first day of school is also a new beginning, a time to set new goals and decide what I want to accomplish with all the quiet time I have.

One of the things on my list of things I'd like to improve on is my blog. I thought about it a lot over the summer, (while I wasn't writing it), about what posts I'd like to write and what kind of posts my readers would like to read. I decided that you probably don't want to read about me, (at least not all the time).

So... I'd like to change things up a bit. Instead of writing about me all the time, I want to hear from you. A couple of features I'm adding to my blog are:

"Friday Firsts"
On the first Friday of the month I'm going to talk about one of my "firsts" (I know that's still me talking about me, sorry, it's my blog, I have to start somewhere,). Then I'm going to open up the discussion for YOU to tell me about one of your firsts. For example, this week is the first week of school, so on Friday I'm going to write about one of my first days of school. (Yes, I REALIZE its not technically the first Friday of the month, but it is the first Friday of the school year, so deal with it.)

"I Have a Story to Tell"
These posts will be me interviewing ordinary (and extraordinary) kids and teens to find out what they're into, what they believe in, what their dreams are, and maybe even what they fear. I will be post these as written interviews or as vlogs. (Did I mention I have an underused degree in broadcasting?) My "Teens Doing Great Things" posts will, for the most part, fall under this feature. If you would like to be part of this feature, or you know a great kid I should talk to E-MAIL ME at jenwolfy@gmail.com

WHY AM I DOING THIS?

That's easy. As an author, basically I'm a story collector. Everything I write comes from a memory, or an experience, or something I read. (Or even something someone told me about.) So... selfishly I'm looking for more material to write about, and I'd love for you to help me out. (And frankly, I just love a great story.)

So be thinking about a "first day of school," you'd like to share. It can be funny, embarrassing, or even ordinary and boring.

Feel free to keep your comments/stories anonymous, BUT I reserve the right to delete comments that aren't appropriate. I like to keep my blog at least PG.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm going to go enjoy some QUIET writing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment